In Summer 2016, Jennifer Chambers started documenting the graffiti that grew like cancer on the boulders in Northwest Branch Pack (at the fall line below the parking lot next to the Trader Joe's plaza) to Montgomery Parks and the Park Police.
Potomac Appalachian Trail Club and the Mid-Atlantic Climbers are partnering with Parks to begin the long process of removing the graffiti. Work was started at 7am, Sun, Aug 28
(7 hours, 5 volunteers). In addition, Park Police are supposed to step up their surveillance of this part of NWB park.
Cleaning the Creek
Here is what you can do:
- Read Jennifer's blog post to see the video and photos and get the story.
- Hike in this part of the park and call Park Police ( (301) 949-8010 or 311) if you witness anyone creating graffiti - take a photo of them inaction. The more people that hike the trail, in particular during the weekdays, the less likely the graffiti will spread.
- Have a family conversation about graffiti and its consequences to the environment and outdoor recreaters.
- If you want to help remove graffiti in the park, please contact Jennifer personally. We will not do outreach about our graffiti removal days due to the environmental and liability concerns.
- Share Jennifer's blog post on your neighborhood listservs.